The Separate Public Prosecution Office is a national operative unit within the Swedish Prosecution Authority answers directly to the Prosecutor-General.
The Separate Public Prosecution Office primarily administers the following matters regarding police, prosecutors, judges, members of the Riksdag and certain other holders of official positions;
- Cases of crimes committed by police employees and certain others referred to in ordinance (2014:1106) on administering matters of crimes committed by employees within the police and certain other holders of official positions.
- Cases stated in the Swedish Prosecution Authority's regulations and general guidelines (ÅFS 2014:16) regarding where matters of crimes committed by certain holders of official positions shall be administered etc. The regulation refers to prosecutors, judges, members of the Riksdag etc., as well as cases regarding crimes connected to activities of criminal investigations conducted outside of the police authority.
- In accordance with the Swedish Prosecution Authority regulations (ÅFS 2014:4) on the division of the operative activities, the head of the Special Public Prosecution Office and another head of department can agree on a matter being administered at the Separate Public Prosecution Office if the prosecution task for a particular reason should not be conducted by another office.
- Matters involving crimes in service committed by prosecutors or judges where the Parliamentary Ombudsmen (JO), the Chancellor of Justice (JK) or the Prosecutor-General have decided to initiate a preliminary investigation and other administration has not been specially agreed upon. The Swedish Commission on Security and Integrity Protection (SIN) can also surrender cases to the Separate Public Prosecution Office.
- The Prosecutor-General can also decide that a matter in a certain case shall be administered at the Separate Public Prosecution Office. The head of the Separate Public Prosecution Office is Director of Public Prosecution and the deputy is Vice-Director of Public Prosecution. Other prosecutors are Chief Public Prosecutors. The prosecutors have offices in Malmö, Göteborg and Stockholm. The head office in Malmö is led by a Senior Administrative Officer. Other employees at the office are prosecution administrators.