Published: 9/9/2019 8:02:18 AMOver the course of the summer, a total of seven witness interviews have been conducted as part of the investigation concerning Julian Assange. An analysis of this material is now underway, after which the public prosecutor will decide how to proceed with the case.
Assange is suspected of committing a rape in 2010. The investigation was reopened on 13 May 2019.
“During the summer, we have conducted interviews intended to verify the evidence, as nine years have passed since the suspected crime. We have concentrated on the inquiries possible to conduct here in Sweden. The interviews are now being transcribed and analysed. We have mainly re-interviewed those individuals who were interviewed in 2010, although two of the persons interviewed have not previously been interviewed,” says Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson.
What happens now?
“Once we have analysed the interviews, I will decide how to proceed with the case. The investigation may then be discontinued or I may decide to conduct further inquiries. If I make the assessment that the next step is to interview Julian Assange, I will issue a European Investigation Order, in which case I shall write to the British authorities with a request to conduct an interview,” says Eva-Marie Persson.
Once the prosecutor has reached a decision, this will be communicated via a press release.
The limitation period expires on 20 August 2020. If a prosecution is commenced before that date, the period of limitation will be extended on condition that Assange is served with a summons before 20 August 2020.
Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson is not available to the media today, Monday.
+46 10 562 50 20