Swedish

Artist to be Prosecuted for Stockholm Assault

25-07-2019
The three individuals held on remand since 5 July on suspicion of committing an assault in central Stockholm have been charged. One of the individuals concerned is an American artist. The public prosecutor will be available to the media via telephone on Thursday morning.

"I have today commenced criminal proceedings against the three individuals suspected of assault causing actual bodily harm, having come to the conclusion that the events in question constitute a crime and despite claims of self-defence and provocation. In reaching this conclusion, I have studied the videos made available to the inquiry. It is worth noting that I have had access to a greater amount of material than that which has previously been available on the internet. In addition to video material, the injured party’s statements have been supported by witness statements," says public prosecutor Daniel Suneson of the City Public Prosecution Office.

The alleged assault took place on 30 June in central Stockholm. The three men who have now been charged were held on the night of 3 July and have been in custody since then. They were initially suspected of aggravated assault. Stockholm District Court decided to remand the three men in custody on 5 July, on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm.

"There were initially two injured parties in the case; however, the allegations concerning one of these were dropped due to insufficient supporting evidence. The prosecution I have now brought therefore relates to only one injured party. A counter allegation was also made against one of the injured parties by the artist’s bodyguard. This case was investigated and closed on 22 July," says Daniel Suneson.

What happens now?
The three individuals will remain on remand until the trial. Stockholm District Court will decide on a date for the trial to commence. The public prosecutor recommends that three days be set aside for the hearing.

Stockholm District Court, Case No. B 9283-19

Contact
Public prosecutor Daniel Suneson of the City Public Prosecution Office is available to the media via telephone today between 9:00 and 12:00 on +46 (0)10 562 55 93. No interviews will be given by any means other than over the telephone. Interviews may be conducted in Swedish or English.

Press Service
+46 10 562 50 20

 

Prosecutor – part of a legal system
Swedish prosecutors are independent when making decisions concerning prosecution or coercive measures, such as search and arrest. This means that each prosecutor is solely responsible for his or her decisions, and that these decisions cannot be changed by a prosecutor’s superior, for example.

The role of the Ministry of Justice
Within the Government Offices, the Ministry of Justice has the primary responsibility for matters relating to the judicial system, including the budgets and administration of the government agencies.

The Ministry of Justice may not interfere with the way a government agency applies a law or takes a decision in a specific case in its exercise of public authority.

The Swedish judicial system (pdf)

Press releases

  • The Investigation Against Julian Assange is Discontinued

    Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson has today decided to discontinue the investigation regarding Julian Assange. The reason for this decision is that the evidence has weakened considerably due to the long period of time that has elapsed since the events in question.

    Read more

    Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson has today decided to discontinue the investigation regarding Julian Assange. The reason for this decision is that the evidence has weakened considerably due to the long period of time that has elapsed since the events in question.

    The preliminary investigation concerning allegations against Julian Assange was resumed on 13 May 2019 after Assange left the Ecuadorian embassy in London. The investigation relates to a suspected rape committed in August 2010. A number of investigative measures have been conducted since May, largely in the form of witness interviews. The preliminary investigation has now been discontinued, the motive for which is that the evidence has weakened considerably due to the long period of time that has elapsed since the events in question. "I would like to emphasise that the injured party has submitted a credible and reliable version of events. Her statements have been coherent, extensive and detailed; however, my overall assessment is that the evidential situation has been weakened to such an extent that that there is no longer any reason to continue the investigation," says Eva-Marie Persson, Deputy Director of Public Prosecution. Background In 2010, being suspected of committing sexual offences in Sweden, Julian Assange fled to the United Kingdom, eventually taking up residency in the Ecuadorian embassy, where he remained from 19 June 2012 until 11 April 2019. In 2017, the public prosecutor responsible for the case at that time discontinued the investigation, as the prosecutor had exhausted all possibilities to make progress. After Assange’s removal from the embassy in spring 2019, the investigation was reopened at the request of the counsel for the injured party in Sweden.   Translation of the prosecutor's decision (pdf). Chronology of the case (link). Case number at Uppsala District Court: B 3167-19.   Press Service, +46 10 562 50 20

    Read more
  • Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson will hold a press conference on the Assange case on 19 November 2019.

    On 11 April 2019, the counsel for the injured party requested the Swedish preliminary investigation concerning rape to be resumed. The case has been handled by Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Eva-Marie Persson at the Swedish Prosecution Authority’s Development Centre in Gothenburg. At the press conference, the prosecutor will inform about the investigative measures taken and provide new information. The press conference will take place 19 November at 2 pm, at Folkets Hus, Barnhusgatan 12-14, Stockholm, room 300. Entrance no earlier than 1:30 pm. Please note only accredited journalists can attend. Bring your press ID or certificate from editorial staff. Sign up at [email protected] by 19 November at 8 am at the latest. The prosecutor’s presentation will be interpreted from Swedish to English. There will be opportunities for group interviews after the presentation. Questions will also be interpreted from Swedish to English, and vice versa, if needed. For further information about the case, see https://www.aklagare.se/en/news-and-press/media/the-assange-matter/ Contact  Press Service, +46 10 562 50 20 Press Manager Annika Collin, +46 10 562 50 15 Press Officer Anna Knöfel Magnusson, +46 10 562 51 99

    Read more
  • An Iranian citizen has today been detained by Stockholm District Court, on probable cause suspected of crime in Iran against international law, gross crime, and murder during the period of 28 July – 31 August 1988 in Teheran, Iran.

    The prosecutor responsible for the investigation is Senior Public Prosecutor Karolina Wieslander at the National Unit Against Organised Crime. On 11 December, at the latest, the prosecutor needs to decide whether or not to indict the person in question.   Case number in Stockholm District Court: B 15255-19.     Press Service +46 10 562 50 20

    Read more
  • A 46-year-old Swedish-Iraqi citizen has today been prosecuted for refugee espionage at Stockholm District Court. The prosecutor is available to the media.

    The man is indicted for, during the period April 2015 to February 2019, collecting personal information about opposition Iranians belonging to the Ahwazi community with the intention of conveying the information to the government of Iran. “I have prosecuted the man for, under cover of representing an Arabic evening paper, having photographed and filmed Ahwazi conference delegates and demonstration participants in Belgium, the Netherlands and Sweden. He is also claimed to have infiltrated Ahwazi fora on the internet and thus obtained opposition persons’ addresses and telephone numbers,” says Senior Public Prosecutor Hans-Jörgen Hanström. The man is also prosecuted for having photographed car registration plates and log-on information for routers, during home visits. The prosecutor states that part of the information has been conveyed to representatives of the Iranian intelligence service via the internet or at personal meetings, including in Teheran. The man who has been prosecuted denies the offence. The preliminary investigation report is quite extensive, some 1,700 pages, and parts of it is confidential. The preliminary investigation was performed by the National Security Unit at The Swedish Prosecution Authority and the Swedish Security Service. Crime classification: Illegal intelligence activities against persons, serious offence. Proceedings in the district court are estimated to take nine days. Case number at Stockholm District Court: B 2890-19. Contact: Senior Public Prosecutor, Hans-Jörgen Hanström, is available to the media today Wednesday from 1pm to 3pm on +46 (0)10 562 53 85.       Press Service +46 10 562 50 20

    Read more
  • Case Update Concerning Synthetic Trachea

    Director of Public Prosecution Mikael Björk provides a brief case update on the preliminary investigation concerning the two patients, now deceased, who had a synthetic trachea surgically implanted.

    Read more

    Director of Public Prosecution Mikael Björk provides a brief case update on the preliminary investigation concerning the two patients, now deceased, who had a synthetic trachea surgically implanted.

    On 11 December 2018, Director of Public Prosecution Mikael Björk took the decision to reopen a discontinued preliminary investigation concerning a surgeon previously employed at Karolinska University Hospital. The suspected crime was a gross offence of causing bodily harm. The preliminary investigation is still underway and has taken longer than expected. During the course of the resumed preliminary investigation, investigative measures have been taken both in Sweden and abroad. About 20 interviews have been carried out and additional interviews of, for example, the suspected surgeon are to be conducted. “The material in the preliminary investigation is very extensive. The final serving to the surgeon and his public counsel is going to take a long time and therefore this process has already commenced even though not all investigative measures have yet been taken. At the moment, it is too early to say when a decision regarding the charge can be taken since it depends on the result of the remaining investigative measures. Our aim is that a decision can be made during the first quarter of next year,” says Director of Public Prosecutions Mikael Björk. Director of Public Prosecution Mikael Björk is not available to the media. Any new information will be made public via a press release.   Press Service +46 10 562 50 20

    Read more
  • More press releases